SEND Computing Conference 2023
17 February 2023
Support Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) pupils in their learning of computer science – join our SEND Computing Conference on Friday 17 March 2023 (9.30am – 4pm) at the National STEM Learning Centre in York.
Over a million pupils in UK schools have a recognised special educational need. Computing is a wonderful subject for engaging a wide range of students, and is an area where many learners with SEND can excel. A recent blog from STEM Learning talks about the state of the video games industry workforce, recognising many professionals in that field have reported having at least one neurodevelopmental condition.
Attending this one-day event will help you improve your computing provision to ensure that your learners can develop their communication and independence through technology. You will also learn how to bring out the best in students who are sitting qualifications in computer science.
It is an essential day of networking, hands-on workshops and great ideas for all teachers of students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Whether you teach computing in a special school, mainstream primary or secondary setting, there will be something for you.
Workshops will include:
- developmental computing ideas and resources for learners following an informal pathway in computing
- high quality teaching approaches to teaching programming to neurodiverse students
- strategies and resources for developing an inclusive and diverse computing curriculum for learners with SEND
- a focus on the Universal Design for Learning framework and how this can be used to create accessible learning activities for students with additional needs and disabilities
- the latest developments in online safety and how to keep our most vulnerable learners safe online
In addition, there will be time for you to talk to and share experiences with like-minded educators throughout the day. This is also a perfect way to combine learning with a weekend trip to the historic city of York – home to York Minster, JORVIK Viking Centre, Terry’s chocolate and Betty’s famous fat rascals.Book your place at SEND Computing Conference now