Inspire Key stage 3 students with our new creative curriculum residential
22 November 2022
Are you looking to improve your Key Stage 3 computing curriculum? Join us in York in March 2023 for our two-day residential course, where you will explore the characteristics of a successful computing curriculum. Plus, if you have completed the CSA certificate and work in secondary state-funded education, you can join us for free!
Key Stage 3 is such an exciting time for students, where as teachers we have the opportunity to ignite student interest and build confidence ahead of picking their GCSE option subjects. With over 81,000 students sitting the 2022 GCSE computer science examinations, is now the time to review your KS3 curriculum to ensure your offer is inspiring, rigorous and knowledge-rich?
This two-day residential will develop your knowledge of curriculum design. You will explore what concepts should be taught as part of the KS3 computing curriculum, how interleaving can improve long-term recall of knowledge and how student knowledge can be developed at pace while avoiding cognitive overload.
Some of the barriers to engaging with computing encountered by under-represented groups can be influenced through the curriculum before they affect career and study destinations. You will consider a curricular and extra-curricular offer that appeals to a wider range of interests and motivates young people to succeed in the subject.
Based at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, the residential will run on the 13th and 14th of March 2023. It will consist of the following three courses (split across two days):
- KS3 computing (module 1): Creative curriculum design principles
- KS3 computing (module 2): Creative curriculum content, sequencing and pedagogy
- KS3 computing (module 3): Creative curriculum enrichment and inclusion
The residential includes free accommodation and meals at the National STEM Centre in York. Don't forget, if you are a CS Accelerator graduate and work in secondary state-funded education, use the discount code on your dashboard when booking to claim your free place.
What have other participants said?
Over the last academic year, we have run a number of residential events in York, and each has resulted in much positive feedback. Here are some of the comments from participants:
- "The Professional Development Leaders delivered the CPD fantastically; they made the course interesting, fun and accessible for all."
- "I found being able to complete group work and connect with other computer science teachers really supportive. I've learnt so much across the two days."
- "The full day of programming was excellent and provided some useful resources for me to practice my skills."
To book your place, visit the course booking page here.